Re: [at-l] ALDHA-ATC AT Thru-hiker's Companion Info

I had no illusions that WF was getting rich off his book. I have several
friends who have been published and been thankful they broke even. As for a
specialized market, I was told once that you only have to sell 10K copies
of a book to make the NY Times best seller list. Despite that I'm surprised
that he can support himself and Trailplace from book sales.

I too am sure that WF does his thing because he feels so deeply about it,
but that is (IMHO) his downfall. His ego is so tied up in it that when he
doesn't get adoration (Perhaps too strong? Make that strokes) he does
things like kick people off the list or yank Trailplace off the web. I
think he is well meaning but lacks perspective because of his passion for
his beliefs.

Saunterer
At 08:50 PM 2/2/99 EST, HkrTrash@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 2/2/99 7:28:24 PM Central Standard Time,
>bullard@northnet.org writes:
>
><< .....WF is the C.A.T.S. and that it is a purely personal project to
promote
>his
> own view of the A.T. and his guidebook. >>
>
>I think that about sums it up.  And I don't think that's a bad thing.
Whether
>or not I agree with WF, I have no doubt that his motivation is his love of
the
>AT and thruhiking.  Some talk of the money he makes off of his book.
..snip..