Re: [at-l] Food stuff

Thomas McGinnis wrote:
[clip]
>      Paddler:
>      1) I've got an AYCE breakfast bet on you cooking breakfast at Hawk
>      Mtn. If you can tell me that in good faith you earned an AYCE, it's my
>      treat.

OK. I'll take that bet :).

>      2) Why would someone go through all the trouble of minimizing weight
>      (as you've done), and then trouble themselves to CREATE(!) a 2 pound
>      rehydration LOAD(!) every afternoon, in order to save themselves 2
>      ounces of fuel?

This was an interesting choice. We'll see how it works out. I don't mind
carrying water to soak 1/3 of a cup of veggies and 1/2 a cup of dried
meat instead of canned tuna and enough fuel to cook for 20 minutes. The
water load is "to cover" so it less than a pint. I have not tested the
minimum soak time yet for this mixture, but you can bet I'll know it
before the end of the first week :).

>      Oh, those troubling questions.....
>      BTW, I, personally, think you (and all the other '99ers on this list)
>      are going to do BUTT-KICKINGLY well. Keep us, ah, Posted, ok?
>
>      Sloetoe

I noticed that a few of us have already subscribed to my Interactive
Journal. I'll make sure my journal entries clear up any dried food or
alcohol stove mysteries as well as spilling my guts on other "trail
stuff."  I have such a hard time putting my feelings down on paper that
my journal is likely to be very dry. I'm considering preprinting a form
like Garvey used so my journal can read:

  Time to awaken:
  Time to rise:
  How many times I peed last night:
  Altitude today:
  Miles covered:
  Free meals 'et:
  Nights off the trail to date:
  Dirty shelters:
  Temperature:

I am also planning on writing a book about my successful hike (what a
motivation) now that Bryson has opened up the possibility of hitting the
New York Times Best Seller List with a hiking book.  I'll have to invent
an imaginary friend like Katz though. I'm sure I can create an amalgam
of the folks here and come up with a ferret-totin brownie-slinger that
will be interesting.

I promise I'll correctly describe the location of the register on
Springer too.

-Paddler