[at-l] Urban Trail Myths (Was: Hello!)

lisa mcgraw wrote:
> Going back to the stove discussion. When
> stopping in town for fuel resupplying, can't
> you  use high-test 101 Octane  gasoline
> (super  man  unleaded) in lieu of Coleman
> white gas?  Pros? cons?

It depends on your stove. It must be a multi-fuel stove that burns unleaded
gas. I use an MSR Whisperlite International, which burns gasoline. I would
only recommend using gasoline if you can't find white gas anywhere. I've only
used gasoline once. Assuming you have access to both, the only pro for using
gasoline in lieu of white gas is that it's cheaper. The savings is pretty
negligible though. It might cost about 8 cents to fill your fuel bottle with
gasoline. The most you're going to pay (in AT towns, at least), is about 25
cents an ounce, and that is pretty rare. Gasoline burns "dirtier" than white
gas, meaning the flame won't burn as hotly, there will be a good amount of
soot, and your stove will most likely need to be cleaned.

Walk with light,

-Rambleon-