Re: [at-l] couple questions

nutech  writes:

>   I have been looking at a bivy, summer tent that Campmor has for
$60.00.
>It has an all mesh top, is over 7 foot long, and over 3 feet wide.  It
>weighs a little over 2 pounds.  It has full "side entrance" and, from
the
>advertisement, seems to be made of decent material.  I was wondering if
>anyone has any experience with this bivy and what they thought.
>
>     Second question:  I will be on the AT this summer, (Damascus, VA
>Boiling Springs, Penn.) and will be in Penn. early in July.  I have
some
>friends who want to hike with me for 3 or 4 days in Penn.  I was
wondering
>if anyone had a favorite section in this area (between Penn state line
and
>Boiling Springs) that they could recommend.

To answer your first question, how 'bout just bringing the  guts of your
tent if you already have a lightweight
one (I presume).  Leave the poles and rainfly at home.
You can string the tent up w/ parachute cord in a shelter (God  forbid
scouts see you do this...)  or outside under trees. This saves you the
$$ and it probably weighs  about 2#  for a bare tent.  I have
done this on summer hikes in SNP ,especially in the shelters where mice
the size of kittens roam. Answering your second question, the AT north
of Pen Mar is a good walk.  The trail is relatively  flat and gentle. I
was
surprised the last time I hiked that section (Pen Mar
to Quarry Gap shelters proximity). I had forgotten that
there is a good amount of flat terrain.  Of course, most
climbs in PA are a few hundred feet ('cept the longer ones).   Good luck
Jim.