[at-l] Garvey (and other AT books)

Not being aware of the Curran book, I checked out Amazon.com for its
reviews. It got 4 out of 5 stars in end user reviews. I'd suggest anyone
who doesn't like it add a review to the list.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0935834664/qid=917471793/sr=1-1/0
02-5873418-0613015

I've seen lot's of books on the AT that were less than entertaining and
appeared to be written to the basic beginner hiker. There's nothing
wrong with that, it's just that lot's of people hike the AT then get
home feeling like experts in the field of backpacking.

Back in the '70's when we hike the AT, Garvey was more of a joke among
thru-hikers. His rules on hiker etiquette and instance to give
interviews at every road crossing seemed to be somewhat counter to the
spirit of the trail. Still I read his book and picked up a thing or two.
Can't say I've read the book of his return hike. Once was enough.

The book that had the biggest impact on our hike was the 2 volume set of
books on the AT from Rodale Press. Granted they are somewhat out of
date, but they still give an essence of the trail. They are particularly
good at toughing you up mentally for the trail.

I'm interested in what books or reference material (printed or online)
had the most impact on your hike and why.

Fallingwater