Re: [at-l] Smoke shifters (was: Me)

Second Chance enquired:

<<You mean there's really some gear item called a smoke shifter?
What is it really? [snip] Seriously....what is a smoke shifter?>>

It's a pretty useful piece of gear if you can find a decent one.  I've got
an old one made of yellow birch I still haul around.  Not too heavy.  In the
old days (I'm talking 20 years ago), we used to call them "hooses."  But now
that they're making them out of synthetics, you don't have many hoosiers to
make the real item anymore.  So people buy the synthetic kind mostly now
(e.g. titanium, high-impact polymers, etc.).  In the old days they were all
right-handed, but I guess now you can get them right or left handed.  Watch
out for cheap ones, though.  This is one thing where you get what you pay
for.

Lucian ("Bristlecone")