Re: [at-l] Slackpacking the Whites

>After reading last year's journals about backpacking in the Whites, we
>(the Blister Sisters) have decided we'd better find out if it would be
>possible to shuttle our packs ahead from hut to hut.

	Some of  the huts in the Whites are very remote - no where near roads.  I
can't imagine you would find too many people willing to haul your packs
between huts for you.  But there are some road crossings for sections of the
trail that would permit some slackpacking.  From Franconia Notch to Gorham you
could use the AMC huts but that will cost you.  They provide breakfast,
dinner, bedding for about $55 per night.  They are spaced about a day apart
(5-10 miles) for the average hiker.  But many thru hikers can pass 2 or 3 huts
in one day.
	Probably a combination of huts and slackpacking would get you through the
Whites if you decide not to carry full packs.  But don't let the stories scare
you off.  The Whites are wonderful.  You have hiked this far and should be
able to pack through the hikes.  Just slow down and enjoy the views.  Hike the
same way you've done the rest of the trail.
	I live in NH during the summer and spend much time hiking in the Whites.
Maybe we will meet on the trail.  Have a great hike and let me know if I can
help in any way.

									Art