[at-l] Film, Backpacks, Goofing Off, Helpfulness and Other Falderall

Many thanks to all of you who posted responses or sent me private email
regarding how best to handle film on the upcoming thru-hike.  Much
appreciated.  I've synthesized the ideas and come up with a plan.

Which leads me to a very short story I've been meaning to relate.  A couple
weeks ago I friend gave me a new pack for a late Christmas present.
JanSport Rockies.  4.5 lbs.  Nice pack.  But I couldn't get it to fit right.
So I figured I'd keep it in the garage with all the other packs.  You never
know when a dozen or so lusty, though poorly equipped, hiker babes are going
to want to go backpacking, right?  But before giving up on the pack, I
posted a "help" query on this list.  I received several helpful suggestions
or comments, and I replied privately to each.  But Tom McGinnis came up with
what seemed like a counterintuitive idea that hadn't occurred to me.  I
tried it.  It worked great.  I now am planning to use this pack on my
thru-hike.

So there you have it.  For all the goofing off we do around here, some good
comes of it.  What was destined to be an expensive garage ornament is now a
wonderfully useful piece of equipment, chopping a couple pounds off my total
pack weight.  All thanks to Tom and this list.

Pretty cool, eh?

Lucian ("Bristlecone")