[at-l] Re: Duraflex Journey review

Dean writ:
>Kurt, have you received your Journey yet? If so, would you post your
impressions of it. Are there any >modifications you would make to it to
improve it?

The Pack is in. Quick specs: Out-of-package weight: 3 lbs, 4.5 ozs (internal
aluminum frame alone weighs 9 ozs), Cost: $60, Packbag Dimensions:8x12x30
(2880 ci, w/out expanding spindrift collar, which can add another 700+ ci
approx ). Looks like a good pack for lightweight hikers, I give it 2
Un-Blistered Big Toes Up :-)
See it at http://www.greatescape.net/journey.asp (dealers are listed on that
site), or next year on my back during my thru-hike...

Initial review:
I've been looking for a "sub-1lb. per 1000 cubic inch" pack for a while.
Mostly, it seems, you only find these on the cheap end of the gear spectrum.
High-end (high$) packs use "ballistic nylons" and 500 -1000 denier fabrics
which, though very strong, are very heavy fabrics. So for 6-8 months I've
been looking at cheaper packs and packs on close-out. It's hard to find a
"sub1per1000" pack on the market *period*, so I jumped on the Journey,
especially for only $60 new, no blemishes, not factory second! I'm not
expecting the world out of this pack at this price, but something to work
with.
Point - If it was only strong enough to last 1050 miles, buying 2 for a
thru-hike would still be cheaper than a single Mountainsmith or Gregory or
TNF.

Weight - First thing I did was weigh it - 3 lbs, 4.5 oz., still under my
"sub1per1000" rule-of-thumb, though 7.5 ozs. over the manufacturers
advertised 2 lb, 13 oz. Sooo much extra strap webbing (feet of it!), though,
I should be able to lop off an easy 6 ozs. in 10 minutes. The webbing used
on straps looks like polypropylene, not the industry-normal nylon webbing.
(What does this mean? Poly web is not as "smooth" or cosmetically appealing
as nylon, is half the price, lighter than nylon, and more resistant to UV
exposure. Poly web is commonly used on lifejackets and such in the marine
industry). It has a more open weave to it that I suspect might be more
susceptible to long-term abrasion damage, but not enough to cause worries.

Suspension - Very adjustable, and easily so. All the usual methods of
adjusting the weight that's hanging on your back are there. The waistbelt is
removable, appears to have a dual-density foam construction - lightweight,
compressible foam on the hip-side, high-density on the outside. The
low-density foam sounds crinkly, might be lighter than normal, but, if you'd
like to replace it, it would be very easy to modify, since the belt removes
easily and is of simple construction. I put 30 lbs of weight in the pack for
a quick try out, and it was as comfortable as anything other pack I've worn.

Construction - overall appears to be good. I haven't seen any missed
stitches or bad seams, there are very few exposed fabric edges (most are
wrapped). Stitches are run at about 8 per inch throughout, thread looks to
be a cotton-poly blend. You can field-strip this bag and flip it inside-out
if needed for repair in 2-3 minutes. Zippers are coil zippers (not as strong
as toothed zippers, but they self-repair), there are 4 (lid pocket, sleeping
bag compartment, divider shelf inside, and back pocket).

I'm very happy with this pack, especially for the price. I will modify - cut
straps, remove divider shelf, that sort of thing - but probably the only
major process I'll undertake will be to beef up the foam in the waistbelt,
which I think will break down fastest of anything I see, and is the least
field-repairable. Other than that, I'll carry a needle and thread in my
emergency kit, but with light packweight I don't expect to use it. I will
also be testing this bag without the aluminum frame, substituting my
sleeping pad for support, as that could save 9 ozs. of packweight.

The two things I'd really wish the manufacturer would change would be to
make this pack with no sleeping bag compartment zipper (so that it's a top
loader only). It would save weight and strengthen the packbag itself. Also,
the side pockets could be made of an expanding mesh so that they'd fit a
water bottle or something of that size (they are too small, as is, for much
more than low profile objects). Pretty picky, huh? I had to find something
to recommend changing, right?

Back to sewing -
Kurt Russell
Wanderlust Outdoor Gear
See the 1.5 lb Nomad lite bivy shelter at
http://wanderlustgear.com