Re: [at-l] Hand Held Computers

>The URL that John O gave for my page on the Sharp TM-20 and the PocketMail
service was incorrect. The URL should have read:

>http://www.monmouth.com/~mconnick/pkmail.htm
>
>The URL he gave was for Michael's Ultralight Backpacking Page, which does
not have any links to my PocketMail Web page on it.

>My PocketMail page will provide information and links to more information,
along with pictures of the Sharp TM-20 so that you can see what it actually
looks like.

>To summarize the advantages of the Sharp TM-20 for use on a long-distance
hike:

>1. It will allow you to send and receive E-mail from virtually ANY phone
using an 800 number. Long-distance hikers usually encounter pay phones when
resupplying at even the smallest store and the Sharp can be used with a
payphone.

>2. Battery life is excellent, with 2 AA's lasting between 2 and 5 months,
depending upon usage.

>3. The unit is very lightweight, weighing only 8 oz including batteries.
>
>4. The unit has 384K of user memory, allowing LOTS of room for journal
entries, and well as lots of E-mail messages to and from family members and
friends.

>5. Every time a pay phone, or any other kind of phone is encountered,
journal entries can be sent off and E-mail exchanged with friends and family
at no cost, since you're using an 800 number.

>6. Total cost of ownership is very low for this unit. The Sharp TM-20
itself only costs $150, and the PocketMail E-mail service costs $9.99 per
month, or $99.00 per year, for UNLIMITED usage of their 800 number. It's
really a great deal.