[at-l] Duraflex Journey Backpack Review

Hi Folks,
I just finished a 4 hours hike with the Duraflex Journey Backpack.  I
loaded it up with 32 pounds of gear.  That is the most I can ever foresee
me lugging around at any given time.  This would be my winter load
including 5 days of food and 1 liter of water.
Before going I was inspecting the pack and I removed the aluminium
perimeter frame.  The frame is "U" shape and quite easy to remove.  Doing
this one can adjust the frame for each individual fit.  The frame weights 8
ounces.  My other 2 backpacks (North Face Exocet and Wild Things
Rucksack)don't have frames so I figured lets give it a try without the
frame today.
Another hiker has the same pack and he already trimmed excess strap lengths
a weight savings of 5 ounces.  So if I do that and leave the frame home I
now have a 3450 to 3600 cu. backpack weighing 2 pounds.  Duraflex web site
states pack is 3450 cu. and the tag that came with pack says 3600 cu..
http://www.greatescape.net/journey.asp
I purchased mine from The Outdoor Store in WA  888-605-2470. Jay Richards
is the owner and he was very helpful when I ordered mine to be shipped back
to NJ.
Well the backpack carried very well and I was quite content hiking without
the frame.  I'll take the backpack on more hikes before making a final
decision.  My early thoughts are this pack that costs $59.95, carries well
has enough space for all the gear I'll need to bring with me for my AT
thru-hike.
Next weekend I'll be going hiking with some friends so I'll get a better
feel for the pack then.  I'll post my thoughts after that hike.
Have a good one.
John O
John F. O'Mahoney
E=mail: johno@mail.monmouth.com