[at-l] hand hels computer question

First I apologize for my ignorance.
Second I am not interested in debating the merits pro or con of taking
one along from a philosophical point of view.

But can someone explain what technically is now possible with these hand
held computers-casio etc. Can i type and send it home instantly, or do i
need to have a portable phone with a hook up, or do i need to wait until
i get into town to send? VCAn i recieve email on my computer instantly?
thanks Poutine Jim also which is the best, lightest, cost? etc etc just
the facts maam...