Re: [at-l] Advice

Peter Nyberg wrote:
[clip]
> Only later did it occur to me that the cooling effect of my sweaty hiking
> shirt was the source of the problem. So, next time I'm camping in cooler
> weather, I'll either have to manage my pace to avoid arriving in camp all
> sweated up ( not sure if this is possible ), or change into dry clothes
> immediately.

A very similar thing happened to one of our Scouts in August this year. We had
hiked 13 miles in Western Maine on a beautiful, but not hot day. The boys were
all sweaty and this particular lad did not change right away. We were at 3700
feet and it was cool - not cold - probably 65 degrees. The boy did not change
his shirt even as darkness fell.  He was shivering in the corner in 30 minutes -
while the rest of us were enjoying the relative coolness of the evening compared
to the hot day hiking. We only noticed him by his absense while we were making
dinner. He had no official job to do that evening, so the boys who were working
didn't miss him, and the boys who were not working were all sorta laying around
camp. He still had not changed or added a sweater/shell.  His core temp had
certianly dropped to near the danger zone.

This was IN SUMMER, ON A REASONABLY WARN DAY.

I was caught completely off guard.

After finally recognizing what had happened, we got him out of his wet clothes
and some warm liquids down him. He was fine in 30 minutes.

Our policy has changed now. When you stop hiking for more than 10 minutes - put
on a shell or sweather. Some boys balk and that's OK - we make them think about
it anyway.  Just adding the shell will keep in heat while you set up camp and
let you do those chores in your smellies before you change. Not doing so can be
trouble, even if it's not particularly cold outside.

-Paddler - Learnin' every day.