Re: [at-l] A Few More Questions

1. Should I bring the big cover thingee for my tent?
take a bivy sack and use a big cover thingee for that

2. What do you do about...  you know... girls and stuff on a trip that long?
Most womyn on the AT are lesbians,,,you wouldn't have to worry about it

3. Hatchet or saw?  Which is more useful on the AT?
take the hatchet it can double as protection

4. I can borrow a "Little Mermaid" sleeping bag from the kid next door.  Anyone have any experience with these?  Durability?  Warmth?
I would suggest a Micky Mouse bag for the start of the trip and switch to the Little Mermaid in summer

5. About how many days will a Quarter Pounder With Cheese keep on the trail?  Is that time reduced in warm summer months?
before you get to the trailhead the smell gets to you and you eat it

6. Are there any books or maps about the AT?
depends,,,ones that are true or false

7. Should I bring a gun, just in case?  How about a cellular phone?
Use the hatchet,,,,you will need a cell phone to call the paramedics when people see you with the hatchet

8.  I don't want to leave my dogs at home.  They are 8 of the most well-behaved labrador retrievers you would ever meet.  Will bringing them negatively affect my wilderness experience?  Is there food available for them on the trail?
take them along but please don't let them in the water source or take up to much room in the shelter. food is hard to come by,,,all those thru hikers eat up everything

9. If I meet a trail angel, and he offers me a Coke, and I want Sprite...  I can ORDER him to go get me a Sprite, right?  I read that somewhere I think.
My understanding is that you take the coke and drink it while he is off getting you the Sprite

10. What's the total amount of money, including everything, that you get when you get to Maine?
Very little if you know how to beg and use that hatchet

Stir Crazy in Nevada...,

Lucian ("Bristlecone")