[at-l] Future Fiction (w/ apologies to FJMcG)

As I was driving on Rt 2 between North Adams and Williamstown next July, I
slowed--as I usually--do near the AT footbridge across the Hoosic River and
the B&M Train tracks.  Sure enough, there was a hiker there. She was kind
of short, toting a Palm Pilot and scribbling (stylusing?) furiously.  I
thought I saw some sort of eagle-like insignia on her pack.
        "Want a ride to town"? I asked.
        "Sure" she said, "just let me finish this journal entry."

Further along, I saw another hiker.  He was short statured, fairly cleancut
(for a hiker) and was busy making notes in what looked like an old edition
of "The Philosopher's Guide".  I might have been mistaken, but I though I
saw what looked like little wings on his hiking boots--at any rate hewas
very light of foot.
        "Want a ride to town?", I asked, "I've always got room for hikers."
        "Sure", he said, "My name's Dan, when I'm off the trail."

As the car warmed up in the hot July sunshine, the smell became a bit more
apparent.
        "Hope you don't mind us stinking up the place." said the womyn.
        "Nope," I said, "Doesn't matter to me, I figure any hiker'ed be
glad to miss a road walk on a day like this".

We got to the Stop and Shop and I dropped them off.  Last I saw, they were
headed into the store.

Dualist.

Cosmo (w/ stolen sig)

"There are three great times for thinking --
 On the john, in the shower, and while hiking.
 And the best of these is while hiking."

 Colin. Fletcher.

Life is Fast, Walk Slowly