Re: [at-l] one-eyed hiking

In a message dated 1/15/99 3:13:04 PM US Eastern Standard Time, Swillsing
writes:

<< I see, Sly, you are using the fact that you have one eye that works that
make the downhills tougher,  well, I am 50 and that is what makes the
downhills tougher for me!  :)  How about other reasons everyone? >>

Downhills are tough on the knees anyway, but without depth perception I have a
very hard time judging just where to put my feet, I tend to step with a jolt,
especially on a steep surface.  Using two Lekis this year helped with the
problem as I could "feel" the distance my foot had to travel to land.  I read
somewhere that the brain will take many rapid pictures with my working eye to
help me judge distances, but it's not the same.

Long steps over narrow creeks can also be a problem and rock hopping for that
matter as can undulating trail, but to a lesser degree.  Level ground and
uphill pose no vision problems for me though.  You can check this out, ware a
patch for a short distance over the trail,  I'm sure you'll notice a
difference.  I'm kind of used to it and know where I'll have the most
problems, although I've probably taken a few extra face plants!

As long as you keep at it, age, shouldn't be a problem. At least, until you
are older than Earl <g>  I've only been at this hiking thing for two years now
and my second session went much smoother than my first.  In only a couple
weeks, I was good to go and doing some decent miles without too much
discomfort.

I'm looking forward to this year, less than 100 days to go, Yah!!!!!

Sly