[at-l] Lewis & Clark -- Calorie Burn

Paul A. Magnanti wrote:

<<[Men of the Lewis and Clark Expedition ate a lot and were still always
hungry]
Keep in mind, this was during a winter camp in modern day North
Dakota, so just staying warm used many calories. Now, as thru-hikers, we do
not burn quite that many calories, but I am willing to bet we burn in excess
of  5000.>>

Wasn't the winter camp at the Mandan Villages, where the members of the
expedition idled away the long hours by having a _lot_ of sex with the
tribal women (at the invitation of the tribal men)?  Methinks there might be
more to this high calorie burn than just hiking...

Lucian ("Bristlecone")