Subject: [at-l] Random Ramblings for the day
Author:  pmags@juno.com (Paul A Magnanti) at ima
Date:    1/15/99 11:42 AM

  "... the men ate prodigiously , six thousand calories  or even more per
day. A modern
athelete seldom consumes more than five thousand, but the calories  the
men were getting in 1805 contained very little, if any, fat.
Consequently, no matter how much they ate, the men were always hungry."
(Ambrose, 200)
but I am willing to bet we burn in excess of  5000.  Supposedly, a backpacker
burns 630 calories an hour, so if you do a 10 hr hiking day, with rest breaks
included in that 10 hr stretch, there is at least  4800+ calories burned. As
body fat goes down, and lean muscle mass increases, the human metabolism
increases.