[at-l] one-eyed hiking

You wrote:

>With the constant
>rain and fog at that time, it was hard enough to see the trail and
blazes with
>two good eyes, let alone being legally blind.  Last I heard, he was
hiking by
>himself.

Almost all my functional vision is through one eye, and I've therefore
been told my entire life that I should be having depth perception
problems. The only thing is, I have no idea, no comprehension, of what
it's like to see equally out of both eyes. The way I see depth is the
way I've always seen depth, which makes it "normal" to me. I guess I
have adapted from the beginning. I have no problem catching a frisbee,
playing ping-pong, or anything else that is supposedly easier with two
eyes (with the exception of those 3D picture-pattern things that you
look at in a certain way). My hiking has not been affected, as far as I
can tell. If I suddenly had equal use of both, I would likely be blown
away by the contrast. If, on the other hand I lost the use of my good
eye, then things would be interesting. I would lose most of my ability
to read, and I'd be taking lots of nasty spills on the trail. I would
certainly have to walk VERY slowly.

It appears the other guy's (can't remember his name) sight is in a more
severe situation, so I'm not at all saying his and mine are exactly the
same. Just thought I'd mention my experience.

wc