[at-l] Blind Thru-hiker

In a message dated 1/15/99 11:10:35 AM EDT, MNagel630@aol.com writes:

<< Charlie ll talked about the former Marine southbound thruhiker who had VHL
 Syndrome and only had one eye.
 Maybe some of you met Old Hickory, I met him in NC last spring.  He was
 legally blind and doing a fairly long section hike.  He had been hiking for
 awhile with a woman hiker but not at this time.  He kept hinting he would
like
 to hike with someone, but at his pace nobody volunteered.  With the constant
 rain and fog at that time, it was hard enough to see the trail and blazes
with
 two good eyes, let alone being legally blind.  Last I heard, he was hiking by
 himself.
 ...Pittsburgh Rooster. >>

Class of 1990:
Bill Irwin, with his seeing eye dog Orient, is the only blind person to have
completed the 2,160 mile Applachian Trail. His hike began in Georgia and ended
almost nine months later in north central Maine.
 http://www.billirwin.com/

Wildbill