[at-l] Forums, Life and People

At 9:10 PM -0600 01/12/99, Pete Fornof wrote:

>If memory serves correctly, this list was monitored by its subscribers.
>Peer pressure usually drove the morons off the list. It has always been
>a friendly, tolerant list.

Fortunately, yes. I think part of that reason is the moderator is not
pressing a view. While valendalism could always happen, how they get
their kicks is by a response. Such as the moderator attempting more and
more script controls. What futility. What winds up is reading of all
msgs, scripts looking for words, scripts "banning and email address", scripts
banning a server. With aol.com, hotmail.com... etc the ability to change screen
names on a fly, that will fail as long at the vandel gets their reward.
Attention. One can not hope to stop a vandel by fullfilling their reward
mechanism. One can expect the more volatile a position, such as a ban, the
more the sides will always come to emotions..

Guns, Cells Phone, and yes.. umbrellas :)

 If a poster got out of hand, people on the
>list just didn't react after awhile and simply deleted every message,
>and the offending poster usually disappeared.

In an open world, there is always a trade-off, should the moderator burn the
mid-night oil, 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.. Talk about impossiblities
and burn-out. I agree with the tell'em get off the list and the ignor
procedure.

 After all, the negative
>ones are usually after attention. Of course, there have always been hot
>debates that sometimes got a little too personal but most of the time
>they ended with apologies from both sides. Hopefully, the list will stay
>that way.

>I regret the termination of Trail Place but understand why it was done.
>Hopefully, we can continue the online AT Community here.

T'wasn't for long. A walk around the block.  Just my comments here..

Now that trailplace is back on-line here are some suggestions:

1. Trailplace purpose states it is also for the begineer to introduce them to
the trail. So I suggest some people who bash the inputters that they have
not thruhiked the trail need to clear thier heads. And stop bashing new
hikers, sectional hikers, etc.  They should take a hike and clear their heads.
Stop bashing novices. Did not you take your first step. I need not state names.
WF states that purpose well, I suggest the forum users also take that into
consideration.

2. Attachments: If the system can't strip out attachments, then get some help
with script writers. Or put a post. Do not expect every new person signing
onto trailplace to read the rules.. Anyone that thinks every will read rules
on the internet, needs a walk. Help them out with better scripts, or a
reminder posted. No attachments. Yelling at them is folly. Please works better.

3. Shutting down a site without warning, and even worse a wrong warning should
be a reflection to all. If a site, is personal property of the owner, they
can get ill, go off in a huff for whatever reason, just stop on a dime. If
you want your journal it must backed up. Kept on a major commercial site like
aol, msn or other ISP not a one person server that can be stopped for many
reasons. Heavens, the person may decide to take a hike and the volunteers can't
handle the workload or understand the computer scripts or a piece of dirt could
get off the hiking boot and crash the drives.

4. As someone said here people do things because the do it for a reward, be
that personal recognition or just a smile from the gift of giving without
requiring in any fashion a return..

Thanks, and yes we all have looked into the mirror.. they are very nasty
objects to some.. those reflections.

So with this last episode of electrons, maybe its best if we just say,
where's the smashmellows..

get to the campfire.. stop deningrated one another and people you put words
in their mouths and do a mind reading trick..

wash out the dirty socks.. delete the self-gratitude... and how about a
little... gift of giving... modesty.. humility..

I don't need justification of your pride... your accomplishments.. etc..

Do not set irrational goals like computer scipts can control, it's us
at the campfire that just don't reward the vandal and they wil tire and
move on.

So Trailplace is back.. I was personally not happy that the journals and
transcribers
were not given courtesy.

I can understand frustration on not meeting a vision.

So another day starts with another step.. All I can say being over the hill,
is realize every step is precious, every moment is too. You can't grab time
and stop it.  Live your life to the fullest and hike your own hike.

Nice saying..

Enjoy life to the fullest.. the alternative will be here soon enough.

OK get the campfires lite, get off those smashmellows.. on the fire they will
fatten up, and so will you after you eat a few dozen..

and finally respect all life.

thanks Tom bear bells Caggiano