[at-l] Journals

Snodrog5@aol.com writes:

> I never thought to make a permanent copy of the journal I
> transcribed. I thought by posting it to "Trailplace" I _was_
> making a permanent record.

When the hiker whose journal I was transcribing decided to stop
sending entries, the journal was removed from the web site after a
week or so. I believe that the only 1997 journals that remained were
either of those who'd successfully thru-hiked or who had "interesting"
failures. Given the probability of success, I never considered the
Trailplace journal permanent.

With everyone and his dog having access to web space these days, I
don't understand why folks don't simply maintain their journals on a
site of their own. It's not as though HTML is rocket science; it only
seems that way if you rely on those hideous WYSIWYG editors. 80% of
the design work could be accomplished with a few template pages and
some boilerplate client-side script.

--
mfuller@somtel.com; Northern Franklin County, Maine
The Constitution is the white man's ghost shirt.  }>:-/> --->