[at-l] Demise of Trailplace

   Too bad TP went down, though it has changed in focus, it was still a
valuable resourve for prospective thru-hikers.   I think the biggest flaw
in the whole TP setup was the Wingfoot violated the KISS principle (Keep
it Simple, Stupid!).... I think it grew to the point where one person
could not manage it without getting stressed out.   I have been active in
the online world since 1987 (shh! I am a reformed computer geek!),  and
have noticed that for a system to evolve and prosper, the SysOp has to be
willing to evolve and change with the users.  TP was evolving into
something that could be useful, but the change was only happening on one
end....the users end. Couple this with a setup that was very complex and
not able to be managed by one person, and you have what happened to
TrailPlace: some unhappy users, an unhappy SysOp, and an atmosphere that
is not really conducive with what a system is setting out to do.  Maybe
TP will come back..maybe it will not.  In any case, it is a lesson for
anyone who cares to start an on-line resource. (AT or otherwise)..Keep
things simple, and realise that not only do the users of your resource
have to adjust, but so do you as the operator.

Ok..back to goofball mode..

Magaroni