Re: [at-l] new backpack

I got extremely lucky.  I bought a used backpack for 20 bucks
and it worked like a charm for a decade.  If I were to do it over
again, I wouldn't buy a new pack. I'd start buying my other gear
and rent or borrow a pack for a couple trips until I learned what
was important to me.  for instance....my home is very disorganized
but I have learned that for me, being organized is _very_ important.
Ergo..I love pockets.  I have looked at packs and even found some
that were very comfortable but without pockets, I would not be happy.
So my suggestion to you is to by a cheap or used pack or rent
several different kinds of packs until you have a good idea what will
be important to you.  But....if you just can't wait <<G>> and being a
gear nut _I_can_understand that, you have to find a really good outfitter
(not just any store) ..someone who knows about fitting a pack.
I used to cringe at the idea of driving an hour or more to a gear store.  But
I have learned and now consider it time well spent to get knowledgeable help.
I envy you.......gearing up can be frustrating but so much fun!!!!  k./\