Re: [at-l] Home at last...and ferrets

     So so good to read more of the miracle.
     So is it 64 weeks and counting?

Subject: [at-l] Home at last...and ferrets
Author:  Fourwh1021@aol.com at ima
Date:    1/10/99 7:33 AM

complain about their health problems!!

Some folks might think this post is not hike related...but it really is.  I am
convinced that my determination to do a thru hike in 2000 just wouldn't let my
body let me down.  (That, and lot's of prayers from the great people on this
list, my friends and family.)

The redhead posted that I was having some problems.  Well the long and short
of it is I had a true Christmas miracle.  The doctors here said I had a
fistula (ulcer that caused a hole from my stomach to my lung.)  They did
biopsy's and said it was cancer.  Since the odds of my type of cancer coming
back is very high, I knew I was doomed.  I immediately called my docs back
home and they said "come home, let us do our own tests."  By the way, the docs
here also determined that I was not a candidate for surgery, chemo would only
make it worse, and I can't have any more radiation since this caused the
problem in the first place!  So I should 'get my affairs' in order.

Well, the doctors back in virginia did some biopsy's...and it was not cancer.
But they did say the fistula would not heal on it's own, and I needed surgery.
My wonderful Dr Hatter said he would transplant a piece of muscle from my ribs
and plug the hole.  Biiiggg surgery.  He told me to go home, enjoy the
holidays, and gain some weight.  Which I did...enjoy the holidays I mean.
Gaining weight seems to be beyond me.

Well, he went in to do more biopsy's on Wednesday...he wanted to biopsy the
airway as well as the stomach, prior to surgery.  Just to be sure.  And guess
what??  The fistula is healing!!  It is not leaking from stomach to lung
anymore, and I do not need surgery at this time!!  My doctor was stunned and
very very happy.  But no one can imagine my happiness.  He put me on a new
drug, new diet, and I will be driving back and forth to Va a lot for him to
monitor it.  A very small price to pay for life.

So the hike is on!!

But now here is the weird part.  The redhead picked me up from the car rental
place yesterday and drove me home.  She acted very uncomfortable and wouldn't
come in the house when we got here.  I barely got my luggage out of the jeep
before she took off down the road.  When I came in the house my dogs were
cowering in the corner and my sister was sitting up on the dining room table!!
I asked her what in the world was wrong and she yelled "watch out for that
ferret...he's a monster."  Just then some strange dog came running out of the
kitchen, followed close behind by a monkey!!  I jumped up on the table with my
sister. (lucky for me I have a large table).  "Where did these animals come
from",  I gasped.  "Well", she replied. "some guy named Felix called when he
hiked into Erwin while you were gone..."

Patty