Re: [at-l] loss of innocence...

TOKTAADN@aol.com wrote:

> 4)  My mentor?  I certainly don't have just one.  And I'm a bit insulted by
> the "most loyal subject" remark.  I do think for myself and kowtow to no one
> -- except hiker babes!  :)  If I had to pick one person as my mentor I
> wouldn't hesitate to pick Jim Owen.  But I'm so fascinated about the AT and
> thruhiking and fellowship and solitude and inspiration that every hiker that
> sets foot on the AT with goodwill toward Nature and his or her fellow hikers
> is a mentor to me. I've come a long way in the last 15 months on these lists
> and let me just highlight my journey by mentioning some of my mentors and what
> they've done for me.

Solar Bear - et al -
I'm honored to be even mentioned this way, but I've also gotta say that
your exposition of your multiple mentors is wisdom beyond your years
:-)   No single mentor can satisfy all of the needs of a true student of
any Way.  Mentors are, after all, only human - and are in turn, students
themselves and therefore imperfect.  It's better that way - keeps us all
in "learning" mode.

> 5)  Pittsburgh is in error when he says that Wingfoot asked for money.  I
> posted a request for contributions to Wingfoot's organization and sent a check
> myself because of the service he performs both on the Internet, his
> publications and his tireless efforts educating thruhikers.  Wingfoot had no
> knowledge of my effort.  I'm still glad I did it.  I have no animosity at all
> for him, and wish him well in all his activities.

I'm also glad you hold no animosity toward Wingfoot - it took me a
couple months to get to that point.  By that measure at least - you are
better than I, my friend.

Walk softly,
Jim