Re: [at-l] Rucksters

Slyinmd@aol.com wrote:

> Rucksters,
>
> It's becoming apparent that on attemping a thru-hike of the PCT I'm going to
> need map and compass skills.  Yet I have none!   I have the AT maps, can get a
> compass and a few books on the subject to study, but is there anyone willing
> to give me an hour or two at the Ruck to check my skills?
>
> Maybe someone could lead a group, if there is any other interest.

I would love to, but I won't be there... My only other long distance hiking
experiences are map and compass hikes. One was through the Olympic range, south
to north, and the other from the Washington/Oregon border to Canada in the
Cascades. While I was a Scout growing up, my Scoutmaster stressed compass skills
and so I've always been very comfortable with a map and compass. It saved my
rear more than once on those trips. Trails were not well marked - where they
existed at all - and more than one time I had to relocate the trail more than 10
miles away.

For a quick orientation (sic) that is really quite good, pick up a copy of the
Basic Essentials series by Cliff Jacobsen - I think the title is Basic
Essentials of Map and Compass, and then get out play in an area that has some
interesting features you can identify on a topo map.

Hiking in the Rockies you will need to be aware of declination, and you would be
wise to either a) use a compass that lets you adjust for declination, or b) mark
all your maps with north south gridlines for magnetic north.

The two serious problems I see with Scouts learing how to use a compass are the
inability to align the map correctly, and the inability to judge distance.

Since your main issues are not going to be counting paces, but rather
identifying landmarks, the first is more interesting than the latter.

Have fun!

-Paddler