Re: [at-l] loss of innocence...

In a message dated 1/10/99 12:46:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
slackpacker@juno.com writes:

> solar had an
>  immense respect for WF that defied what i considered reality.  solar
>  zealously defended everything WF did and said.  when WF asked for money,
>  solar responded, and advocated that others should do the same...
>
>  for solar to break with his mentor is significant beyond belief.

Wow, I don't really want to go here, but I can't let this be.

1)  I still have immense respect for Wingfoot, and always will.  Just two of
his accomplishments assure that.  First his many successful thruhikes.  This
guy has earned his stripes.  Second, his service to the thruhiking community.
Think whatever you wish of his practices and quirks, but no one carries the
torch for the AT better than Wingfoot, and the fact is I agree with his
positions most of the time.

2)  My departure from the ATML has no bearing on my support for Wingfoot,
rather the way he chooses to run his mailing list and website.  As such, I
have to disagree with my friend Pittsburgh about the significance of this.
Much of the blame for the schism he laments comes from both sides.  At this
point I don't see enough maturity or judgment from either side to be
optimistic for reunification nor do I ever see myself a partisan of one side
or the other.  Rather, I prefer to remain in the apathetic majority who would
rather be hiking and leave the acrimony to others.

3)  The improvements in the ATML that would make it better IMHO are:
a)  Lifting the silly ban on humor.  I would love to challenge Wingfoot to use
that fancy polling software in his website to survey whether list members
wished humor banned.  He could then get the majority viewpoint of his
subscribers instead of the complaints of a handful which he has used to
justify his decision.
b)  Allow posting to the list, with a monitor adding significant posts to the
website archive.  Knowing that every post gets archived has taken the social
aspect out of the ATML, yet some very dubious posts wind up archived that
could cause unwitting Forum readers to make some very foolish judgments.  An
archivist could clean up some of the "static" there.
c)  Rather than warring with the at-l, he should welcome its different style
and culture and let his subscribers know that it's over here with directions
on how to subscribe should he wish to maintain the all business approach of
the ATML.  At their core, the lists have different foci.  On the ATML, you
learn facts, on the at-l you make friends.  We hikers have need of both and
exclusionary practices offend me.

4)  My mentor?  I certainly don't have just one.  And I'm a bit insulted by
the "most loyal subject" remark.  I do think for myself and kowtow to no one
-- except hiker babes!  :)  If I had to pick one person as my mentor I
wouldn't hesitate to pick Jim Owen.  But I'm so fascinated about the AT and
thruhiking and fellowship and solitude and inspiration that every hiker that
sets foot on the AT with goodwill toward Nature and his or her fellow hikers
is a mentor to me. I've come a long way in the last 15 months on these lists
and let me just highlight my journey by mentioning some of my mentors and what
they've done for me.

Let me start with the giants.  They aren't on the lists, but their wisdom
incites the passion in my soul.  I speak of the writings of Henry David
Thoreau and John Muir.  I wish every hiker who feels the least bit spiritual
while out hiking on a beautiful day would sample their writings.  Hiking is so
much more than just a physical activity and these two authors can help anyone
explore the deeper meaning of hiking.

Another part of my journey was coming to grips with the myriad hiking styles
and objectives of thruhikers.  I came on board 15 months ago as a purist with
a healthy skepticism of those who hiked differently than I plan to.  It's been
a grand education and I can say that even though I will still hike pure
myself, I will in no way judge anyone else's hike.  I want their fellowship
and they'll have my respect.  I'm glad you all have mentored my to this
understanding.

Making humorous comments or writing poetry was the furthest thing from my mind
when I first subscribed to a hiking list.  Yet I have been exposed (should I
say infected) by the absolute genius of this list, Felix.  And more recently,
Datto.  Two wild and crazy guys I'd love to take a long hike with.  These guys
make me laugh and help me find ways to make others laugh as well.  I consider
them both my mentors.

Even in my personal life, I have become a different person because of the
advice, care and understanding of some very good hiker babe friends.  Redhead,
Morning Dove, Dust Devil, Nina and Second Chance all spent countless time
helping me or humoring me through some bleak times.  I'm so fortunate to have
such wonderful friends as these.  Mentors every one.

So you see, it's quite laughable to call Wingfoot my mentor.  I've never met
or talked to him other than a few usually painful private emails.

5)  Pittsburgh is in error when he says that Wingfoot asked for money.  I
posted a request for contributions to Wingfoot's organization and sent a check
myself because of the service he performs both on the Internet, his
publications and his tireless efforts educating thruhikers.  Wingfoot had no
knowledge of my effort.  I'm still glad I did it.  I have no animosity at all
for him, and wish him well in all his activities.

6) Hey, hiker babes!  The tutu is getting wrinkled and only one lousy bid so
far. And she's gonna work me like a slave and not share any chocolate.  Please
save me from such torture.  :)

Happy trails,

Solar Bear