Re: [at-l] Zip Stove Question

>One Caution...the only gripe I have...since the fire box of the zip
>sits on the fan unit it is a bit unstable.  I have never tipped
>it but it is an issue.

It's definitely a "hold the pot firmly while you stir" deal.

Someday I intend to devise a way to improve the Zip's stability,
preferably without adding weight. I was thinking last summer of
attaching eyelet loop "feet" to the base through which pencil-sized
sticks may be threaded (or wedged) radially for support. Another
option might be to drill holes in the bottom and secure the base
with tent pegs pushed into the ground. Such tinkering will have to
wait, though, as I have a much bigger wood stove that I'm currently
working on.

As for protecting the ground beneath the stove, I sometimes spread
out a sheet of aluminum foil if the ground is dry and "organic"
enough. I tend to overfeed the stove, and pieces of half-burned
twigs occasionally drop out.

--
mfuller@somtel.com; Northern Franklin County, Maine
The Constitution is the white man's ghost shirt.  }>:-/> --->