Re: [at-l] Water????

Fri, 08 Jan 1999 14:47:09 -0500 Tim Hewitt <thewitt@fairchildsemi.com> wrote:

SNIP

>The last thing before you turn in at night - melt the snow/ice for
>tomorrow and bring the Nalgene bottles full of hot water to bed with
>you. It's really the only way to fall asleep when it's really cold out,
>and that warmth will actually stay trapped in your sleeping bag for
>quite some time.

I have mixed feelings about the idea of Nalgene bottles full of hot water in
the sleeping bag.  They help heat the bag up initially, but you will burn
energy though out the rest of the night to keep them warm.  If I use them at
all, it is 1) to preheat  the bag and then put them out once they cool off
or 2) re-heat them a number of time during the night when it is to damn cold
for the bag I brought.

BTW --  When ever it is freezing, I leave a pot full of water (or ice or
snow) near my stove to melt in the AM.  That way, I don't have frozen bottle
tops etc. to deal with in the AM.

Chainsaw