Re: [at-l] Homemade alcohol stove

Shane

	I also used the same stove link as a starting point.
   http://www.uvol.com/scouts/stove/stoveUNPC.htm It was really a lot of
fun trying different designs and testing them. I found your web site to
be very well laid out with  easy to follow directions.
	My burner and stand weigh 2.3 oz and I have been using a rather heavy 3
cup bean can with a wire handle for my pot. For the burner I used the
bottoms from two Fosters beer cans. With holes and perlite as described
in the original instructions. I found the larger diameter Fosters cans
worked a bit better than standard size soda cans. This gives a shorter
hotter burn time. The burner will hold 2 oz of fuel.
	For the stove stand the best I have come up with is a piece of 18 gauge
SS screen wire 2.25" by 10.5". This wraps securely around the burner,
holding it in place. SS is heavy in comparison but is strong for its
small gauge. During operation this screen often turns red hot. It seems
to be important to keep a lot of heat at the burner in order to burn
isopropyl alcohol efficiently. All my designs have been towards
effectively using rubbing alcohol. If it will burn this water fuel mix
it will do great with denatured alcohol. Be prepared for some suet.
	For a wind screen I have been using several layers of aluminum foil,
forming a circular screen much like the MSR windscreen. A better source
is to buy a large throw away aluminum baking sheet or pan at the grocery
store. You can cut out a durable screen that can be folded up many times
for storage.
	Wow I really like the light weight ZIP Stove idea that John O pointed
out. I have often speculated on reducing the weight of the 16 oz wood
burner. Using a Titanium cup was an excellent idea. I have enjoyed
cooking all my life and I guess that is part of my fascination with
cooking stoves.

chase

--
Charles W. Davidson (WB4PAN)