Re: [at-l] Ice storm

Gary Roberts wrote:

>         Taken from the USA Today January 8, 1999
>
>                  Tennessee
>                  Gatlinburg - A December ice storm in the Great Smoky Mountains
>                  National Park is expected to leave visible effects for at least                    three years and cost upwards of $80,000 to clean up. The storm
            snapped limbs and uprooted trees, making many trails impassable.

I can definitely vouch for this. There will be a more detailed description of the day
in the near future. It was Dec. 24th. I was climbing out of Davenport Gap while trees
were snapping all around me. Several times I thought "What the hell are you doing out
here?" Then, I'd think "Man, that is way cool." Many times I had to run forward or
step back to avoid trees, limbs or ice. It was the first time I ever HAD to hike
looking up. Way cool, indeed.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98