Re: [at-l] Re: ATML What would I do different...?

In a message dated 1/6/99 9:33:17 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
MNagel630@aol.com writes:

<< I guess I'm a fool because I didn't carry shelter (a tent) all the way
through
 NH and ME.  Slept in Huts, B&B's, motels, hostels and shelters and did fine.
 Not carrying the extra 3 1/2 pounds was great, although I'll admit
 occationally my sleeping destination was restricted.
 I did spend one night in a shelter with you and you did do a little heavy
 breathing although nobody was as bad a Beorn, Tale of the Forest. >>

Oh this cool, what started on Trailplace got switched over too the at-l.
That's ok Wingfoot doesn't like my chit chat on his mailing list!  Maybe the
word fool was a little strong, consider yourself lucky, you weren't stuck
outside in some serious weather.  I've know others to hike the entire trail
without shelters (tent, bivy, tarp, etc.) and when the shelters were maxxed
out and it was stormy had to rely on the kindness of others.  One guy I know
had no "shelter" going through the Whites, going ultralight and would race
from Hut to Hut in order to get the work stay at every Hut.  Needless to say,
he wasn't very well respected as others were looking for a work stay and he
was there everytime.

Saving 3 1/2 pounds isn't worth it to me, I'd rather camp where I please,
under any any possible weather conditions.

YMMV,  Sly