Re: [at-l] Thruhiking - What are you carrying?

     I apologize for not fleshing out this response, but I have to offer a
     countervailing observation:

     The people who say "The equipment doesn't matter!" generally have the
     equipment which meshes with their methods and satisfies their needs.

     You mention ultralite "system" as a method -- I bet you'll agree that
     ALL hiking styles (enough styles for each individual!) comprise a
     "system". The hiking system is BOTH the hiker AND the individual
     articles of equipment; the system must mesh well, satisfy day-to-day
     needs, and plausibly allow progress up the trail. If a piece of
     equipment seems to engender consistent delay in getting progress up
     the trail, the hiker must change either the method of using the
     equipment OR change the equipment. Equipment debates are more often
     system debates than disagreements about articles of equipment given
     the same hiking system. Thus, it may be better to make the observation
     that

     The people who say "The equipment doesn't matter!" generally have the
     method of hiking which smoothly meshes their equipment and their
     needs.

     Lastly, thanks again for your "Throughhiking Papers" -- they're quite
     a contribution.

     --TMc