re: [at-l] Carrying maps and guide books - where?

On Mon, 04 Jan 1999 18:59:06 -0500, Tim Hewitt <thewitt@fairchildsemi.com>
wrote:

>OK, here's another last minute question.
>
>When I hike for a long weekend, I generally read the map, read the guidebook,
>photocopy a page or two from the guidebook and take the photocopy and the map in
>my pack inside a ziplock.
>Where do you carry them so they are accessible?

>Suggestions?

For 1 week trips, I copy the elevation profiles off the AT maps and annonate
them with camping, shelter, water, road info, etc. I place these strips in a
snack size ziploc which I carry in the cargo pocket in hiking pants. As the
hike progresses, I refold the strips to show the current area. This is all I
generally need to see. I usually have guidebook pages and copies of parts of
maps in the pack in case I need to change plans.