Re: [at-l] Carrying maps and guide books - where?

>Where do you carry them so they are accessible?  I don't want to have
>to drop my >pack to check out the map or guidebook, yet I don't always
plan to
>have pockets >available either.

Two years ago, I started carrying a fanny pack as a standard gear item.
This fanny pack is hooked up to my backpack's straps, and is worn as a
"belly pack".  In it, I carry my snacks,  Polar Pure, map, compass and
whatever misc. things I need for the day and do not like fishing out of
my pack. Used this on both the LT and the AT. Seems to work well for me.

Magaroni