Re: [at-l] AT Video

Chris,
	You wrote:
> ... i was wondering if there are any good videos on the AT? ...

	You can order these from the A.T.Conference Trailstore online at
<https://www.atctrailstore.org/> or go directly to the videos at
<https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/showprod.cfm?gid=38&cid=1>:

1. How to Hike the Appalachian Trail. ($34.95, $29.70 member price)
	Tips on how to prepare and what to expect on the long trek.
	3 hours, VHS
2. Five Million Steps: The A. T. Thru-hikers' Story. ($29.95, $25.45 mp)
	Award-winning documentary of 16 thru-hikers' travels GA>ME.
	75 minutes, VHS
3. North to Katahdin. ($19.95, $16.95 mp)
	Unveils challenge, beauty, triumph, and reflection on the A.T.
	from the long-distance hiker's viewpoint.
	28 minutes, VHS

> ... One last thing, in your experiences what are the best guide books
> and how many sections is the series broken into?

The official guidebook series covers the entire trail and has eleven
volumes: Maine, NH/VT, Mass./Ct., NY/NJ, PA, Md./N.Va., Shenandoah Nat'l.
Park, Central Va., SW Va., Tenn./NC, and NC/GA.  All of them are
accompanied by maps.  In addition there is a "Data Book" covering the
whole trail.  These are at <https://www.atctrailstore.org/guides.htm>.

Two other books that help are:
1. Appalachian Trail Thru-hikers' Companion.
2. The Thru-hiker's Handbook.
Under the "Guides for Use on the Trail" section of the Trail Store at
<https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/showprod.cfm?gid=36&cid=1>

There is another guidebook series intended for short hikes on the A.T.
that covers most, but not all of the trail.  It has good information
on driving to various access points along the Trail.  It's called
"Exploring the Appalachian Trail: Hikes in..." and there are 5 volumes:
Northern New England, Southern New England, Mid-Atlantic States, The
Virginias, and South Appalachians.  I can't find these on the AT website,
but they are listed in their printed catalog and they are also available
from Amazon.com and other online bookstores.

You might be interested in the A.T.Bibliography (on the Trailplace
website) which is under construction at
<http://trailplace.com/bibliography/bibliography_index.html>
I hope to have all these books/videos listed there shortly, but there are
many other items already listed in the bibliography.  Hope this
information helps you.  --  Earthworm (the Trailplace Librarian)