[at-l] Bag ratings

Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:52:45 -0800 (PST) Datto IsIn <datto999@yahoo.com> wrote:

SNIP
>The measurement of degrees of a sleeping bag is subjective (there
>isn't an industry wide standard for measurement) and each manufacturer
>of sleeping bags does their own thing. So one manufacturer's 20 degree
>rating may not be the same as an other's.

To complicate things there is also a time factor issue also.  Quite a few
years ago, I was involved in some MilSpec testing.  The "standard" was four
hours "sleeping or sedentary rest" w/o discomfort.  They assumed you were
comfortable when you started the test and could get four hours rest before
the cold woke you up.  Not much meaning in the rating if you were chilled
going in and wanted a full winter's night sleep at "x" degrees.

My son is headed for arctic training in Norway in February and he tells me
the military has much more realistic expectation now.  I'll see what he says
when he gets back.

In the mean time, anyone know what the MilSpecs standards are now?

Chainsaw