Re: [at-l] Cell phones in the news

At 12:15 AM -0500 01/02/99, Bill Thorneloe wrote:
>Drat! Even Solar Bear saw through my attempt to move on in our angst! I
>wonder why the folks in the airplane didn't use the cell phone?

Most cell phones are limited to direct line of site and if the people were
injured and could not get out of the plane, they could not connect
with a tower. The skier could take the phone and ski to an area where
line of site, generally easy on ridgelines, could be contacted. They don't
work in canyons nor do GPS as they need to "see" three satelites.

Of course in only several yrs, if not now, Iridium, etc will allow worldwide
high speed internet access on your cell phone so you can uplink those
digitized camera shots to your web site and share the adventure with those
at home with your loved ones.  That may not work well in canyons either.

My last post on cell phones. I think the archives on at-l give long
pluses good, bad and indifferent.

I just use the hikenet rule.. no cell phones within 100 ft of trail,
campsite or
shelter area. I keep it in tubberware within easy access inside the
backpack and a
dogtag note on my backpack in the event I am injured and can't get to it
but someone comes along can read the dogtag. A written note is in the
tubberware crash-proof, water-proof case with the miniture cellphone, tells
someone to press 1 and send.
Gets 911. Call is free to everyone no cell phone subsription service is needed.

So you know where I am coming from. I pack a deadly cell phone, no gun, two
dueling
hiking sticks with rocket assisted dart throwers. I carry hot chili and
black beans.
Deadly those gas discharges, knocks the roofs off the shelters rafters, but
scares away the bears and hides all body odor :)

On the east coast we have lots of towers. On the west there are many
hundreds of miles where there is no cell phone towers. Like route 50 in
eastern Nv, the loneliest
highway in America going to Great Basin Nat'l park.

While hiking part of the PCT by Tahoe with my friend, he suffered a heart
valve problem, with my cell phone, I called in medvac and he had heart
surgury saving his life that very day.  Us oldies do have higher
probablities of falling down. Fortunately, I don't have to remember
numbers, I just press the stored keys.

Actually my Dad, 75 plus, called me last night on cell phones as he wanted
a cheap service for cars in case of emergency, I told him, YOU DO NOT NEED
any service contract.. NONE.  Just buy any cheap cell analog phone, NO
service provider
is needed. You can always call 911 for free even without a service provider
and get emergency aide. He'll now put one in Mom's car too  :)

OK, too much squawk on the cell phones.. to the archives..

Guns and Cell phones... love'm or leave'em... Your choice.