Re: [at-l] Inslulated Jackets

<<Thanks for the recent info on the Fleece thread. I am looking at
insulated jackets to replace/compliment my fleece. Such as the Patagonia
FireBall and PuffBall Pullover as well as the Helios super light down stuff.
I also am taking a look at down sweater like garments. I want the most
insulation @ weight and have a slight preference for synthetic but I have
had no problem with down in the past. So what have you got, how much does it
weigh and always $important$, are they giving them away?>>

I recently acquired North Face's answer to the Puffball Jacket.  It's called
the Cerro Torre.  It zips up the front, has a drawstring waist, a pocket to
stuff the thing into, and is insulated with Polarguard 3D.  It weighs 20 oz.
in a men's medium and is much warmer than my 16 oz. fleece anorak.  I've
only had it on one trip, and there was no rain on that trip (though temps
were a little below freezing), so the jury's still out.  You would need a
shell over it anyway, but I had hoped to see how it performed in the wet.
(Kind of a sicko, ain't I?)  But so far I like it a lot.  Campmor had them
for a something like $115 on sale.  Not cheap, but the quality seems to be
high.

Lucian ("Bristlecone")