[at-l] weather radios

I almost always carried a 'weather radio';  not an ordinary network radio.
I got it at Radio Shack for under $30.
This has a few channels that carry only NOAA reports and are often
localized i.e. mountains, foothills, etc. and very helpful. Often the sky
looks like threatening weather but then turns for the better but once in
awhile it turns ugly fast and we need to find shelter fast such as
descending off a ridge.  The best feature of the radio is the siren warning
signal for severe weather.  Like Jim, I have learned to read the sky pretty
accurately but once in a while its good to know how far away a bad storm is
and what its packing. I can now smell rain in the air before it gets here.
I can smell the ozone from lightning.
Case in point: We were going to hike on to camp in the woods as we usally
do but, because of the weather report, stopped at Flint Gap Shelter on a
cool but sunny April day, many of the hikers were going to camp outside
until they heard the siren warning on the weather radio....High winds,
torential rain, hail, and possibly a tornado. Seven hikers spent the night
crowded safely inside the shelter watching torrential rain, and big winds
but thankfully the tornado and hail passed by us. There were a few grateful
hikers that night. BTW the next morning the trail was sparkling with ice
crystals.  Beautiful ice crystals in the crannies of rocks.  WWW (Weaping
While Writing).  Forgive me. So many fond memories.
SLIM