Re: [at-l] 1/2 oz. FM radio

Jeff Walters wrote:

> Tim and AT-L,
>
> While I respect your action to not carry a radio, I feel that there are some
> situations which a radio could be extremely valuable; weather is one.  I
> guess it's just one of those control issues<?>; having control over the
> wilderness, not letting the wilderness control you -- which of course most
> of us learn is impossible.  Isn't that why people bring so much gear on
> weekend hikes?
>
> At times we have to submit to nature and get off the trail.  I've
> experienced this in central Florida on a 100 mile hike through Seminole and
> Ocala Forests.  Late the 8th day of the hike the winds really picked up, it
> was obvious that a good storm was approaching from the NW.  Most of us could
> tell by the clouds, winds and slight rain that night.  What none of us could
> tell was that the storms were extreme and there were several tornadoes to
> the North of us.  The next day we hiked in the wind, not knowing the extreme
> weather that was to the north and south of us (as we later found out).
> Luckily, someone who knew we were on the FT came to meet us to let us know
> about the tornadoes warnings in the area.  After a little thinking, we
> decided to play it safe and end our trip on the 9th day.  We had been dry
> for 8 days and that's probably a record on the FT.
>
> My point is that you can't "always" tell from looking at the weather
> indications what the weather is going to be the next hour,day, or week.  A
> small radio with an ear piece would not interrupt anyone else's solitude
> from the real world and in my opinion would be a very valuable piece of
> gear.
>
> Jeff Walters

Jeff -
I wouldn't tell you to not carry one, but keep in mind that on the AT
(or any other long trail) the weather report you get on the radio has
nothing whatever to do with the weather on the Trail.  Weather reports
are ALWAYS for populated areas - and for the altitude at those areas.
The weather in the mountains is totally different.  It's not just a
matter of translating 3.5 degrees per thousand feet to your altitude -

Walk softly - and learn to read the weather, not listen to it,
Jim