Re: [at-l] 1/2 oz. FM radio

Tim and AT-L,

While I respect your action to not carry a radio, I feel that there are some
situations which a radio could be extremely valuable; weather is one.  I
guess it's just one of those control issues<?>; having control over the
wilderness, not letting the wilderness control you -- which of course most
of us learn is impossible.  Isn't that why people bring so much gear on
weekend hikes?

At times we have to submit to nature and get off the trail.  I've
experienced this in central Florida on a 100 mile hike through Seminole and
Ocala Forests.  Late the 8th day of the hike the winds really picked up, it
was obvious that a good storm was approaching from the NW.  Most of us could
tell by the clouds, winds and slight rain that night.  What none of us could
tell was that the storms were extreme and there were several tornadoes to
the North of us.  The next day we hiked in the wind, not knowing the extreme
weather that was to the north and south of us (as we later found out).
Luckily, someone who knew we were on the FT came to meet us to let us know
about the tornadoes warnings in the area.  After a little thinking, we
decided to play it safe and end our trip on the 9th day.  We had been dry
for 8 days and that's probably a record on the FT.

My point is that you can't "always" tell from looking at the weather
indications what the weather is going to be the next hour,day, or week.  A
small radio with an ear piece would not interrupt anyone else's solitude
from the real world and in my opinion would be a very valuable piece of
gear.

Jeff Walters

O why do you walk through the fields in gloves,
Missing so much and so much?
Franced Cornford (To a Fat Lady Seen from the Train)