Re: [at-l] 1/2 oz. FM radio

I know lots of people carry them, but it's not the weight that keeps me from
carrying a radio. I don't want the interruption of my time away from the real
world.

I don't need to know the weather report;  I can feel the weather on my face.

I don't need to know the sports scores; I don't really care anyway.

I don't want to know that we are bombing Sadam again; My taxes will just go up
to replace the $2,000,000,000 we spend next time keeping the world safe from
that evil madman Sadam for another 6 months (2000 cruise missles at $1,000,000 each!).

I don't want to know that crime and hate and discontent are still a big part of
the world I left behind.  I can't do anything about that while I'm on the trail
- don't bother me with it please. I just don't want to know.

I figure I'll get enough news in town stops and from section and day hikers if
anything interesting happens; you know, if it turns out that Al Gore is a
cross-dresser, or that Newt really killed JR or that we have aliens among us
(didn't Feelix already prove that one), or anything else Earth shattering.

I figure it will do me alot of good to be out of contact with what most news
reporters feel is newsworthy for the better part of 6 months. I suspect that
when I get back, we'll still be talking about possible independant counsil
investigations in Washington, and where Clinton is going to live once he is
removed from office - either voluntarily in the year 2000 or forcibly someday.

If you bring your radio, please keep the headphones on, and don't tell me who
shot whom today. I really dont' want to know.

-Paddler