[at-l] Harpers Ferry to Springer Moutain Flip Flop Due to Weather

Hi Folks,
March 1, 1999 is my planned start of hike for my 99 thru-hike.
I would like feedback on a suggestion made to me about starting at Harpers
Ferry, heading south to Springer Mountain then flip flop to Harpers Ferry
and heading north.  This would allow me the ability to have a gentler hike
for quite awhile?  Enable me the ability to get in condition at a easier
pace.  I'm 52 with a history of multiple back surguries.  This would also
mean I wouldn't experience the same degree of cold weather, snow and ice as
I wouldn't be at higher elevations as much?
I've decided to hike in trail running shoes so if it snows a couple of
inches were talking a no miles day.  From several journals I've read  a
number of days were 0 days due to snow and extreme cold in GA, NC at higher
elevations in early March.
Spring does come earlier in GA than MD, but MD and Virginia trail are at a
lower elevation for quite awhile.
I appreciate any suggestions.
Have a good one.
John