[at-l] Bad Coffee was Cross posting

     OBVIOUSLY TRAIL RELATED: Somewhere in a shelter, far far away.....

     It's cold, damp, chilling to the bones type of weather. Your every
     movement puffs warm air out and cold air back in, causing your neck to
     stiffen, even weighing your chest down by its very cold mass. But your
     stomach is empty and it's complaining. And your bladder is
     complaining, too, but in that very different, very ominous fashion
     that only bladders can do. Your sleeping bag fairly reeks with
     discomfort.

     Then somebody does it: they get up. They rise up from their cocoon and
     in one smooth motion are dressed against the elements. (You secretly
     vow to camp with this person and observe them every morning to figure
     out how they do it.) They don't even need a potty run -- how'd they do
     THAT? They just quietly commence the business of the day. You watch
     now more fascinated with every moment, every movement. Water spills
     into a pot with that metalic spashing that signals "Food!" and is put
     on the stove which only sputters long enough to let you know it WAS
     really ignited even though you never actually saw it being ministered
     to.

     Plink, clink, small thuds and rattles of nalgene jars and plastic
     zip-locs giving up their contents for the morning meal. Then it comes:
     "Want some Coffee? You look kinda cold." And the immediate answer
     "Sure! That'd be great." Whoa -- all that technique, and politeness,
     too. Who is this hiker? And what will the coffee taste like? Gourmet,
     probably. Probably something really hard to come by. The pressure in
     your bladder ceases with the offer of coffee in bed, and you're
     distracted for a second on how to show your gratitude to your bladder,
     but just for a second.

     The hiker grabs your cup from the sideboard, fills it full of steaming
     darkness, and walks it over. Your anticipation of the brew lightens
     your whole day. Is THIS what hiking is all about? The simple pleasure
     of a hot cup of joe on a bone-chilling morning? Wisdom so sublime! You
     take the cup with eager hands and scootch into an upright position
     against the back wall. Your nose registers something foul, but your
     brain immediately dismisses the alarm as "bad signal," some maladroit
     mix of arm and bag waifted on steaming coffee vapors. You lean your
     nose over the cup while feeling its powerful heat burn the chill from
     your fingers like a cupful of summer sun. You inhale deeply through
     your nose, trying to suck that same heat into your whole face. But
     your nose quickly recoils at the horrid, stale smell thick with dank,
     sour decay.

     Something smells horribly wrong! You move the cup up and out of the
     way, madly shifting your legs to poof a bag-borne breeze paste your
     anxious nose. No good. No smell at all. Oh No! In horror, you bring
     the hot cup back down to your nose and confirm the worst: the stank
     you smell is the cup you love. And it's bad, it's as bad as the time
     you ran JV cross-country without socks, and your mother woke you at
     two in the morning to put your shoes outside and soak your feet in
     Epsom Salts. Distilled decay. Pervasive, with a lasting aftertaste
     that runs right up and fills your sinuses.

     But it's hot! You take a deep sip in desperation and hope that it
     tastes better than it smells. SOMETHING must make sense here, or your
     world will shatter. Well, it doesn't taste worse than it smells -- you
     take another, deeper. You finish the cup in four swift, scalding,
     burning, stinking gulps, and finish with a throat-clearing
     "Ahhhhhhhh!" that conveys more satisfaction than you'd wished. The
     polite hiker turns to you. "Gee, that was fast!" Then the dread
     question comes: "Would you like another?"

     And here's the horror. It's cold; you're numbed; coffee's "free." You
     can feel the warmth of the liquid pushing out the cold from your core,
     the caffiene kick-starting your heart. Your bladder calls once again,
     and you know now that exiting your cocoon is unavoidable. You have to
     get up, you're gonna be colder, but the thought of then having to
     start your own stove, breakfast, your LIFE without another cup is
     overwhelming. Bad taste and all, the coffee still coffee, and your
     body is responding.

     The other hiker waits through the pause in the conversation for your
     answer. You look away, look around, stammer a confusion at the morning
     which you really don't feel. You're stalling, searching for an answer,
     and you hope he doesn't see through your act. But the hiker IS waiting
     for an answer, and you ARE facing a dilemma. How do you say "No" to
     free warm caffienated coffee? How awful must it taste -- How bad the
     aftertaste -- for it to be better to do without? If it tastes this bad
     -- and you know it's going to leave an aftertaste that will disgust
     you all day -- can it be good for your spirits to consume this?

     Sometimes, no matter how much you might really desire something, it
     may actually be better to do without than to continue to partake of
     something which causes such conflict and turmoil. And sometimes you
     ride uncomfortably on the bittersweet edge......................