Re: [at-l] KC's Dates for Shelters/Mileage/Mail drops

ARTCLOUTMN@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/11/98 2:25:21 AM, you wrote:
>
> >9 Carlo Sh 17
> >
> >10 Baldpate Lean-To 16.4
>
> KC,
>         Very ambitious miles through the Whites. ...
>         Having hiked extensively in the Whites I know you have to >really be careful  of the weather.  In bad weather a section can take >three times as long as in good weather.  Or it can be impossible to >hike during severe weather conditions.

KC - I'll second that. By that time you are starting to get REALLY tired
- and in my case, my knees were blown.  It was a long time after
starting the Whites before I was ready to do more than 12 mile days
again - past Rangely I think.  Then in 1988 we ran into white-out
conditions one day going over Saddleback. I hiked blind, but did a short
day, my companions turned back. I know who was smarter :-) If you do
Mahoosuc Notch as a short day, it is playtime. You can have a lot of fun
there. But if it is part of a long day - it can be a real trial. And an
utterly exhausting (not fun) day.

But you know (or at least you've been told) that a schedule is for
general planning - throw it out once you're on the trail. Planning is
fun - and you get to know the trail - but don't take it too seriously.
The trail itself, weather, your body, companions, hunger, etc. will
dictate your actual schedule. Stay loose.  I've spent three years
studying the CDT routes - and I know that the final decisions on where
we go and when won't be made until we are actually en route. There are
simply too many variables (including Chaos striking again!)

ginny