[at-l] Fw: 620 Pound Bear

A 620-pound bear was killed by a poacher this week (Thur at 9 am) in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. This was the biggest black bear ever recorded in the GSMNP. The jerk was found and arrested but others are believed to be involved. The bear measured 89 inches from nose to tail and was estimated to be 4 to 8 years old. It was "a longtime garbage junkie in Gatlinburg that probably scavenged all his life, living out of dumpsters." Male bears like the one shot normally weigh around 150 pounds this time of year. A lack of natural foods has been a problem for the park's bears in recent years, forcing many to stray into unprotected areas. But park biologist say food is abundant this year and there have been few bear sightings outside the park. The bear shot was NOT considered to be a nuisance.

This was in our paper today. WOW, can you imagine coming across a 620 pound bear! Maybe some of those thru hikers were telling the "truth" about how big that bear was that they saw! Wonder if this bear ever stole a hiker's food? I hope the poacher and all those involved are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. This is one bear that we wouldn't be seeing next year,,,I will remember him when I thru hike next year. KC