Re: [at-l] Thru-hiking in 2000 AD: Survival?

I knew that would push somebody's button just right!<grin>  I agree that
there are better ways up solving the Y2K problem, upgrading the software is
one of them.  So, what does this have to do with the AT again?

I'm gonna go take a hike, Happy Trails.
Jeff Walters

>Two things. One because it is so ironic and the second to help keep things
>focused.
>
>1) "...my programs will have been out-dated" is exactly the sort of the
thinking
>that started this mess to begin with. Programmers said (mostly to
themselves)
>I'm going to save myself a bit of room in memory because there's no way
this
>program will still be running by... It became such a convention that people
>wrote software this way despite the predicted "End Of Life" of the software
they
>were writing.
>
>I find it laugh out loud funny that anyone is willing to duplicate this
mess
>with a very breakable and insufficient solution as the one posted above.
This is
>not a slam to the person who posted it who I'm certain :) knows when to
employ
>it and not. But like with so many things I'd suggest caution about throwing
>around this idea as a "fix".
>
>2) As for how this applies to hiking and the AT... If you are concerned
about
>potential problems related to Y2K, you have an advantage over most folks.
>presumably you have lived for a least a couple of weeks if not for several
>months carefully planning and carrying and supporting yourself.
>
>That's way more than the urban population of the US has done. If you want
>plan for the worst, do the same planning, just be more lavish, taking into
>account that fact that you most likely will not have to carry stuff on your
>back.
>
>It isn't a hard stretch even with changing the assumptions we make about
trail
>towns and electricity and batteries. Just modify your thinking a bit and
you
>should be able to plan for almost any eventuality.
>
>My personal opinion is that while there will be some "oops" being heard
around
>the world, that for the most part major services (air traffic, power grids,
>phone service, water, and the like) will be OK or manageable in the US.
POssibly