Re: [at-l] Thru-hiking in 2000 AD: Survival?

> For the mm/dd/yy format:
>      if yy > 50 then assume 1900's
>      if yy < or = 50 then assume 2000's
>
> This simple little bit of code will usually work for most simple programs
> including some of the CGI/Perl Web scripts I am currently writing for the
> Web.  But what happens in 2050?  Personally, I don't care because by that
> time my programs will have been out-dated and upgraded to new and better
> programs.

Two things. One because it is so ironic and the second to help keep things
focused.

1) "...my programs will have been out-dated" is exactly the sort of the thinking
that started this mess to begin with. Programmers said (mostly to themselves)
I'm going to save myself a bit of room in memory because there's no way this
program will still be running by... It became such a convention that people
wrote software this way despite the predicted "End Of Life" of the software they
were writing.

I find it laugh out loud funny that anyone is willing to duplicate this mess
with a very breakable and insufficient solution as the one posted above. This is
not a slam to the person who posted it who I'm certain :) knows when to employ
it and not. But like with so many things I'd suggest caution about throwing
around this idea as a "fix".

2) As for how this applies to hiking and the AT... If you are concerned about
potential problems related to Y2K, you have an advantage over most folks.
presumably you have lived for a least a couple of weeks if not for several
months carefully planning and carrying and supporting yourself.

That's way more than the urban population of the US has done. If you want to
plan for the worst, do the same planning, just be more lavish, taking into
account that fact that you most likely will not have to carry stuff on your
back.

It isn't a hard stretch even with changing the assumptions we make about trail
towns and electricity and batteries. Just modify your thinking a bit and you
should be able to plan for almost any eventuality.

My personal opinion is that while there will be some "oops" being heard around
the world, that for the most part major services (air traffic, power grids,
phone service, water, and the like) will be OK or manageable in the US. POssibly
better elsewhere either because they aren't handled in a high tech way or they
are handled by newer systems that lack the problem.

Enjoy the nice weather,

Daniel